The increasing demand for medical eye care services along with implementation of the steps below would ensure the professional standing of Optometry for decades to come:
State Legislatures and Regulatory Boards
- All State Practice Laws Modified to Permit Optometrists to Practice Comprehensive Medical Eye Care Without Restrictions.
- States to Mandate Postgraduate Clinical Training in Medical Eye Care for Licensure.
Core Curriculum and Postgraduate Clinical Training
- Optometry Schools Curricula to Emphasize Medical Eye Care and Facilitate Their Graduates’ Transition to Postgraduate Clinical Training.
- Residency Programs in Medical Eye Care Significantly Increased. Current Titles and Descriptions of Residency Programs Consolidated and Revised. Residency Title Must Correspond with Name of Specialty.
Recognition by Profession of Optometry
- Board Certification in Optometry Medical Eye Care Widely Recognized.
- Optometry Specialties and Subspecialties Widely Recognized.
- Oversight Board for All Specialties/Subspecialties Recognized.
- Optometry to Qualify for the Graduate Medical Education Program (GME) Program.