Building institutions of quality education, forming national health care policy, and strengthening urban communities through quality optometric and ophthalmic care are just a few of the notable honors that can be attributed to Dr. Charles F. Mullen. Within the Illinois College of Optometry (ICO) community, Dr. Mullen is remembered for his unwavering commitment to excellence and the confidence he has instilled in students, faculty, staff and alumni.
Through his leadership he has helped put into motion a positive transformation which will benefit the profession of optometry and optometric education for years to come.
Today, after recently retiring as President of ICO, Dr. Mullen remains active in helping to shape federal initiatives and currently serves on the Board of Trustees, New England College of Optometry and Board of Directors, New England Eye Institute.
Introduction courtesy of the Illinois College of Optometry.
- New England College of Optometry (NECO) Celebrates 50 years of Commitment to Community-Based Training – See “Forward-thinking administrators saw benefit of affiliations”
- NAVAO Founding Member Spotlight: An Interview with Dr. Charles Mullen
- NECO Alums Behind the VA Optometry Service – See “Laying the Foundation”
- Dr. Charles F. Mullen – Clinical Architect by the New England College of Optometry
- National Optometry Hall of Fame – Press release announcing the induction of Dr. Charles Mullen
- Who’s Who: Dr. Charles Mullen, Executive Director, Pennsylvania College of Optometry
The wisdom, knowledge and experience that you brought to the Board and Development activities are the main reasons we were able to grow the endowment, move to a new building and reshape our fundraising programs… -Chairman of the Board, Blind and Vision Rehabilitation Services of Pittsburgh
On behalf of the Board of Trustees I want to extend you our sincere congratulations and heartfelt thank you as you conclude your term as President of the Illinois College of Optometry. Your accomplishments and achievements over the past six years have been nothing short of phenomenal. It has been an honor to be part of the renaissance of the Illinois College of Optometry. You have truly done a marvelous job. In the history of the Illinois College of Optometry, your tenure will be remembered as one of significance in the development of ICO as a premier optometric institution. -Chairman Thomas Lawless, Board of Trustees, Illinois College of Optometry
Signature Papers & Multimedia
- Optometry Specialty Certification Boards Provide a Uniform Indicator of Advanced Knowledge and Skills
- A New Paradigm for Optometry
- Optometric Education in Crisis
- Opportunities Lost – Opportunities Regained
- Mergers and Consolidations of Optometry Colleges and Schools
- Transformation of Optometry – Blueprint for the Future
- Required Postgraduate Clinical Training for Optometry License
- Why Optometry Needs the American Board of Optometry Specialties (ABOS)
- The Future of Optometric Education – Opportunities and Challenges
- A Strategic Framework for Optometry and Optometric Education
- Changes Necessary to Include Optometry in the Graduate Medical Education Program (GME)
- Unresolved Matters of Importance to Optometric Education
- Illinois College of Optometry Commencement Address (Video & Transcript)
- Charles F. Mullen’s Speech at the Kennedy Library: Development of NECO’s Community Based Education Program
- Illinois College of Optometry Presidential Farewell Address (Video & Transcript)
- Commitment to Excellence: ICO’s Strategic Plan
- Illinois College of Optometry and University of Chicago Affiliation Agreement
- An Affiliated Educational System for Optometry with the Department of Veterans Affairs